piątek, 16 października 2015

Rat King (part 2/2)


© Andrzej Olas (andrzej.olas@gmail.com)

Translated by Krystyna Olas

In Mokotow the uprising ended earlier than in the downtown district, which was still held at that time by the Polish fighters. The Germans came in the evening and said that they knew that there were resistance fighters hiding among us and that they were to immediately surrender. No one spoke up. The Germans forbid us to leave the basement, and throughout the entire night we were shut up in there. In the morning they led us out onto Madalinski Street. On the opposite side of the street stood commandeered horse carriages filled with items stolen by the Germans.
They led us down Madalinski Street to Independence Avenue. The street was burning, fire billowing from the windows of houses along the sides. For a second I thought that I heard someone playing the xylophone. It was window panes dropping from burning frames onto the cobbles below. At one moment my mother said that our house too was already burning.
At the defunct Polish Airplane factory in the Okecie district the Germans said through megaphones that nothing would happen to us. Later they told us we were to give up all valuables - watches, jewelry, and money - to help fund the war effort of the German Third Reich. Those who did not cooperate would be punished. That was how my mother lost her watch. We spent the night on the concrete floor of the factory. I was scared and hungry. This feeling stayed with me during the next long months of wandering in the midst of German-Russian battles.
* * *
We returned to Warsaw in April 1945. The front half of our building was charred, but our apartment was spared. We, kids, had a lot of places to play because half of the surrounding buildings were either burned or in ruins. We had all the toys we needed: from the wrecked armor on Wisniowa Street to dud mortar shells to different types of explosive powders and cartridges.
They were exhuming a body very near the fence where I had seen the slim, elegant man the first day of the uprising. Two men were digging up the corpse while a woman with a Polish Red Cross armband was checking over some papers. Nearby, a horse carriage was waiting to transport the body to the cemetery. The woman from the Red Cross was saying,
“Listen, papers are most important. We have many people about which families are still asking. Please be careful.”
I decided that the Red Cross woman wouldn’t be interested in the bomb shelter the Germans had built near our home. The shelter, which was dug into the earth so that from the outside looked only like a small mound, was a place where we children often played. It had two entrances and was so low-ceiling that one couldn’t stand up straight. When my mother had brought us back to Warsaw in April 1945, the entrances had been covered with dirt. The unearthing of the entrances took us about two months, mainly because in the beginning my brother and I were the only children in the house. Later Bulek returned, and also Jacek and Piotrek. The inside of the shelter stunk; it was mildewed and dirty. When we found a human skull, we stayed away for a week. But it turned out the shelter was an excellent hiding place for hide-and-seek, and we later moved the skull into a blind corner of the shelter so as it wouldn’t bother us. A little while later we found a second skull and moved it to the same place. It was against our rules to hide near the skulls. The skull with fewer teeth we named a German, and the other one we dubbed a Pole.
I went to school on Narbutta Street. I had nightmares; the worst one was where I was being chased by SS men and I had to escape by roof hopping. Most of the time I fell, but occasionally I was caught. At school I was a favorite of our teacher, Mrs. Siwczynska. This helped me when I accidentally lit my bench on fire while playing with artillery powder during a Polish lesson. The janitor, Mr. Grzelak, put out the fire with a few of pails of water. It so happened that one bucket accidentally hit me. What was worse, the entire carry-with-me portion of my arsenal was confiscated. Most painful was the loss of two small rocket cartridges and a large buckshot cartridge. Wet and robbed, I was sent to the principal’s office, where, in the presence of Mrs. Siwczynska, he told me there was no room in his school for bandits like me and that I was expelled. Mrs. Siwczynska told me to go into the anteroom and wait. Through the slightly ajar door I heard the principle shout fearfully at my teacher when she mentioned that my father had been murdered at Katyn by the Communists.
“Madam, for such talk one can go to jail! I didn’t hear you say that!”
“Mr. Principal, the child is underfed and neglected. Only God knows the trauma he underwent during the uprising. We must nurture him, not expel him!”
I didn’t consider myself neglected. Starved I wasn’t either; a number of times during the war I had seen sausage, and at least twice I had actually tasted it. Besides this, I was rich: only a few days before I had found among some rumble a disassembled Parabellum handgun. It was worth at least a hundred cartridges or even two grenades.
Jacek and Piotrek’s mother, Mrs. Patycka, was the head of the Syrena theater’s literary department, so she knew a lot of actors. Later on, thanks to her, I got to be backstage number of times. My first theatrical experience was also because of her. The play was The Nutcracker. I was awed. I had never before seen such rich and vivid colors, actions, and sounds. It was a special performance for children, and the actors involved the audience by asking questions and occasionally asking our advice. When the Rat King first came on stage, on of the actors asked us:
“Do you like him?”
The answer was an unanimous “noooo!” Surprisingly, even to myself, I shouted “yes!” Even when all the rest of the audience had quieted, I was still shouting, “Yes! I like the Rat King!” I didn’t know what the actor expected when he invited me up to the stage and asked me why I felt so. I answered, crying,
“The rat was the bravest! He was braver than the fighters!”
And then I remembered what had happened during the uprising. The SS men had come one afternoon. I was near the entrance when they stormed the basement. First there was the terrifying order,
Hände hoch!”
Two black silhouettes with the blinding white opening of the door behind them, loaded with weapons. One was shouting, “Weg!” He set himself in the corner of the basement, pushing Mr. Grusze out of the way, and stood there, prodding the room with the barrel of his sub-machine gun. The other one was howling, “Schnell!” and was herding Mr. Grusza and someone else, a short man, whom I didn’t know, up the stairs, kicking and pushing them. I knew that one of them would kill me at any moment. I didn’t try to escape, instead I started screaming with all my might.When Mr. Grusza and the short man were already at the exit from the basement, the SS man with the submachine gun came out of his corner and went towards the stairs. In the sudden silence Mrs. Pojawska said,
“Mrs. Olas, will you calm your child, or they will shoot all of us.”
The SS man, already at the bottom of the stairs, turned in her direction, the barrel of his gun scanning the room so that at one point it was pointing directly at me. My screams changed into howls; no one in the room moved. The SS man left. I heard two series of shots. In the basement there was silence. Then Mrs. Grusza started to scream,
“ Please! Give me back my husband!”
The corpses lay for several days in the courtyard, by the entrance to the basement. Then we learned that the Germans had finally allowed the interring of the dead, and a few men dug a grave in the courtyard’s lawn. Mr. Kowal, returning from the courtyard, said,
“If this uprising doesn’t end soon, then they will have killed us all.”
* * *
Luckily for the unfortunate actor, Mrs. Patycka was backstage. After I had started crying hard and stomping around repeating that the rat was brave, the actor didn’t know how to get me off the stage. Mrs. Patycka simply came out from behind the curtains and said “Come here,” and took me home. My mother told me o get something to eat and go to bed. I fell asleep quickly, but after a little while talking woke me up. My mother was just then scolding Mr. Kowal.
“Mr. Kowal, you are drunk, and I hate drunks. Why don’t you go home.”
“Mrs. Olas, I went home, but my wife wasn’t home. I immediately knew that she must be with you. And anyway, I only drank because I met Mr. Smolinski. Remember him? He was in the basement next door during the uprising. And you know what? This world is so stupid. Now those SOB communists are saying exactly what we’ve been saying all along, that the whole uprising was just one big blunder.“
That night I dreamed of the uprising. The Rat King, wearing a royal purple cape, sat on a throne in the middle of our basement. On the left of the King sat Mr. Grusza, and on the right the short man whose name I didn’t know. The herald, also standing on the right side of the throne, was reading from a huge parchment:
“Let it be known to all, that all past blunders invalidated.”
In the crowd, I recognized my mother and Mr. Kowal with his wife. In the back, I saw groups of people, under a red flag, all wearing red shirts. I moved toward Mr. Kowal and asked,
“Sir, what about the SS men?”
Mr. Kowal shouted, interrupting the herald, “Exactly! What about the SS men?”
The Rat King answered seriously, “The SS men are bad people.”
I asked, “Will there be another uprising? I’ve already been through one. I don’t want an another uprising.”
“In Poland bad things are happening, but there will not be a second uprising,” replied the King.
My mother then asked, “Rat King, is there somewhere a Great Order Among Everything? Is there somewhere Justice?”
The Rat King hesitated, “It is difficult to talk about order in a place filled with graves and corpses. Every fourth person in this country is dead. We are led by barbarians.” Now the Rat King pointed at me. He continued, “ Maybe he will live to see the Great Order Among Everything of which you speak.”
I fell into a deep sleep. That was my last dream about the uprising.
The city changed. The burnt half of our apartment building was rebuilt, the air raid shelter torn down. I grew quickly. I became interested in books and sports. Jacek, Bulek, and I formed a soccer club, and I got to play the centre. Everything was going great. I hadn’t quite realized then that, more and more, I was seing portraits of a Great Leader with a mustache, and that more and more people mumbled the name Stalin.

THE END

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz